Wednesday, September 20, 2006

I'm Jacked

The last ten days or so since my last post have been fairly non-eventful. The massive fatigue I felt early on seems to be subsiding, and my energy level is creeping up ever so slightly. I have been noticing some minor improvements in my back pain levels, though not nearly to the degree I experienced right after the loading phase. Interestingly, my cyclical problems with cystic acne on my back have also started to improve.

In the meantime, I have also gotten a fresh set of labs and have had my annual physical exam with my DO. As I mentioned in my last post, my PCP -- a D.O. -- has agreed to supervise my AIM trial. However, he is still a medical doctor and that fact became more apparent after my exam, this morning.

And we have a winner, folks! This latest set of labs is record-breaking on both counts. As you might have already inferred, my viral load has increased significantly and my CD-4 count has dropped with equal significance. My viral load has more than tripled what it was last April/May. It now stands at 159,000 copies/ML. By comparison, it was about 43K last time around. What's more disturbing is that my CD-4 count now stands at 262, down from 407. As my previous set of labs was about 4-5 months old, it's hard to say whether or not the significant change is directly attributable to AIM. However, the AIM doctor clearly indicated that I would see an initial downturn. Hence, this set of labs seems to be consistent with everything I've been told to expect, thus far.

What concerns me now, though, is that my DO immediately started talking about drug regimens. Heretofore, I have not been on any HIV meds, and I am doing everything I possibly can to avoid getting stuck in that trap. The DO's tone was a little more assertive than his normally laid back demeanor, so I am somewhat fearful of an eventual showdown if I choose not to immediately start a drug regimen. I bought some time, though, by saying that my next appointment with the infectious diseases doctor is late, next month. Even so, he said he was only comfortable with me waiting a month or less to get started. I suggested that I get another set of labs, in order to confirm these results, when I meet with the ID doctor. My DO agreed that was a good course of action. To the degree possible, I want to ride the cusp of asymptomaticity (read:drug free) until the AIM protocol has ended. Regardless, I know that viral loads can swing widely from day to day, so having another set of labs done is just common sense.

Keep me in your prayers.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home