Monday, September 11, 2006

Je Suis Fatigue

I have this endearing (to me, anyway) tendency to do my research after having jumped headlong into something. In this case, I listened to the AIM radio testimonials podcast over the weekend – after getting my three loading doses of AIM. It was then that I learned about some of the initial side-effects of AIM.

First, I found out that approximately one week after treatment, the injection site usually becomes somewhat hardened and itchy (as I try to sneak a scratch here at my cubicle). Doh. Anyway, I now know that the best place for these injections is the butt, not the abdomen. I now have this big red bump, with a slight bruise encircling it, on my belly. As if I weren’t already self-conscious enough in the gym! Hah. Who knew?

Otherwise, the most notable post-treatment side-effect has been massive fatigue, although I have no way of knowing whether or not there is a direct correlation. I have always had low energy issues, but this is kind of like having a low-grade flu over a period of several days. As I understand it, though, the AIM patient’s body will naturally start “asking” for what it needs while on the treatment. In my case, having had several years of insomnia issues, I think my body is simply begging for rest. I am usually wired at night, but not lately. Also, I have been taking naps much more frequently, and I run out of energy (i.e., doing boring chores) more rapidly than before.

Interestingly, my chronic back issues (arthritic, degenerative disks) seems to improve on some days, but not others. AIM tackles a broad array of inflammatory conditions, so if my back problems improve during the course of the treatment, all the better. BONUS!

Otherwise, I was finally able to speak to my primary care physician about AIM. He's a younger D.O., and is pretty open-minded to alternative treatments. He has agreed to supervise me while on AIM, and thus, I had my first post-treatment blood draw, today. I am anxious to see if the results bear out the expectation of an elevated viral load and/or a decreased CD-4 count.

More to come.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home